Thursday, July 16, 2015

Come Away and Rest


funnyjokes18plus_blogspot_com.jpeg


Deacon Tom writes ©

“Come Away… and Rest


Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B


Who doesn’t like to get away once in a while and trade in the ordinary and routine for the new and exciting? I find myself looking forward to “vacation time” even though I am retired! And then, when I finally do get away, I jam pack the day with things to do, places to go, people to see. In a couple of days I feel exhausted and wonder why I didn’t leave some down time to just sit back and relax, to rest in the moment, and reflect on what I am experiencing, to find God in the events and the people around me.     

I don’t think this is my own unique experience, and judging from today’s gospel reading, I get the sense that this is an ancient problem.  Jesus recognized that he and his Apostles needed to get away from it all and just “rest for a while”. Jesus recognized his own need to break away from the hectic and demanding nature of his work and take a breather. His need for solitude show’s his total and complete humanity and is a reminder for us that we need to break away on occasion and find a “deserted place” where we can “rest a while”.

Our spiritual lives require a balance between “being” and “doing”. We engage in ministry, in helping “transform the world” as we are called to do as followers of Christ. But, what transformation can we ever hope to bring about if we don’t stop from time to time and tap into the power source who fuels us?  Seeking out quiet and solitude are essential requisites for spiritual growth. It is only logical that we can’t give what we haven’t got. If we don’t stop and quiet our own restlessness, how can we ever bring peace to those we love?  If we don’t develop an inner stillness, how can we ever bring a spirit of tranquility to our workplaces, or show some gentleness to calm those filled with tensions and aggravations that we encounter all day long?  If there is to be any peace in our homes, in our schools and communities, in our world, it has to begin with us.

As we take in the beauty and warmth of these sun-filled summer days, perhaps we can arrange to break away for just a few precious moments to our own little “deserted” place, “and rest”, so that we might experience the wonders God has in store for us.  Then, we too may be able to join our voices with those of the psalmist and say, “The Lord is my Shepherd, there is nothing I shall want”.  

Enjoy the day!
Deacon Tom 

No comments:

Post a Comment