Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Who Do You Say That I AM?

Deacon Tom Writes about…
“Who Do You Say That I Am?”


Beginning on the Third Sunday of Lent, our Gospel narrative comes from the writings of St. John. The stories we hear are familiar ones:  the Samaritan Woman, the Man Born Blind, and the Raising of Lazarus. These three weeks of Lent are particularly important to those who are preparing to be fully initiated into our faith, the Catechumens or Candidates. Over these next three weeks, they undergo an intense period of interior reflection known as the “Scrutinies”. The readings from John’s Gospel help them and us reflect on who Christ really is.

The first part of John’s Gospel is referred to as the book of signs. In it John describes Jesus’ miracles as a way of letting us know His identity. John does this by having Jesus use the phrase “I Am”. This helps the listener know that Jesus is identifying Himself with God in an absolute sense.

Here are some other “I Am” statements from John’s Gospel that Jesus used to reveal Himself to His listeners:

4:25 The woman said to him, "I know that the Messiah is coming, the one called the Anointed; when he comes, he will tell us everything.” 4:26 Jesus said to her, "I am he, the one who is speaking with you.”

6:35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst”.

8:12 Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

10:9 I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved

10:14 “I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me.”

10:36… “I said, I am the Son of God”

11:25 Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live”.

14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

15:5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing.”

Matthew, Mark, and Luke all have Jesus ask his disciples the tough question, “Who do you say that I am”? Matthew 15:16, Mark 8:29, and Luke 9:20. How do we answer that question when Jesus asks it of us today? Just as important, do our lives reflect our answer?

Please keep our Catechumen and our Candidates in your prayers.

Enjoy the Day!

Deacon Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment