Thursday, January 11, 2018

Waiting For The Lord


Deacon Tom Writes,
“Waiting For The Lord”


The Responsorial Psalm today is from Psalm 40, “I have waited, waited for the Lord, and he stooped toward me and heard my cry.” These words are a reminder that God works in His time and that waiting for the Lord is a habit we must form if we are to deepen our relationship with the One who hears all our cries.

We live at a time when we want our demands to be fulfilled instantly; we don’t want to wait for anything. I can pop a dinner in the microwave and sit down to a full meal in 2 minutes. I can go on-line, order a book or anything else I want and have it in my hands tomorrow. I can send money around the world with a click of the mouse. I can even watch my grandkids in Virginia decorating the Christmas tree while I am sitting in my living room in Weeki Wachee. It’s almost too good to be true! But when it comes to forming good habits or developing virtue, these things take time, effort, and prayer. Notice you don’t see the words “instant” or “easy”! Perhaps that’s why we all seem to be experiencing this growing sense of impatience which seems to be making the virtuous life ever more elusive than in the past.

We don’t know what the person who prayed Psalm 40 was asking God to accomplish in his or her life. It must have been something very important…comfort from some sorrow...forgiveness for some sin, some transgress, healing from some pain or compulsion. Whatever it was, God delivered, in God’s own time, filing this prayerful, penitent, and patient person with a new song, a hymn to God.

Waiting on God is never easy. Waiting for God to act in our lives is never something that we have on our list of things to do today. We turn to God when our world comes tumbling down, usually when we have no other place to turn.

Today’s Responsorial Psalm is an invitation for us to sit quietly before the Lord and wait for Him to act in our lives…. No crises going on…. great, that’s even better. In any event, if we place ourselves before God patiently, He will come into our lives and give us a new song or two to fill us with joy and remind us of His presence to guide us and abide with us throughout the day.

Enjoy the day!

Deacon Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment